Sunday, December 23, 2018

Live Streaming is Good Motivation

I worked on Reckoning for 2 hours yesterday and 3 hours today. Turns out live-streaming is great for holding me accountable. I really want to finish this painting by January 1st so I can move in to new ideas. This has been in the works for about 2.5 years (life has happened... lots of life). For 2019 I would like to be more efficient...


Here it is at the end of today. I spent the stream working on adding more depth of color to the head of the bank o, more shadows to the neck, and cleaning up some of the pattern on the kimono (a few leaves needed their lines cleaned up, and a couple flowers needed more layers). I keep getting sucked into these details. Worth it, but the labor time really adds up.

“All” that’s left is to add a glaze or two to the floor, soften the lines of those shadows, add a little more shadow to the inside of the kimono... and maybe soften some parts of her hair, and/or add some shadow to her arm and leg. 


Here’s a photo of my studio set up for streaming. I told my husband that the brightness of the sun was too strong and I’d have to wait til later in the day to stream, and he immediately responded, “Let’s fix that!” And he put up curtains for me right away. I also received my second webcam today and got that set up, and spent some time adjusting settings in Streamlabs, so I have a working “Palette Cam” as well as painting cam. 

I’m planning on cleaning up the recording and sharing it to YouTube but that may take me a little while. If you’re interested, I’m on Twitch.tv as jennydavispaints. I believe Twitch saves the recording on my page for a few days (though they muted my audio because they noticed I was listening to my own playlist - next time I’ll set up royalty free radio, but this time I just wanted to get down to painting. And I’m really glad I did. I got a lot of work done (though it may not look like it) and had some great conversations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cicada in Gold

Cicada , 7"x5", ink, watercolor, and composite gold leaf on panel. I worked on this little guy last weekend. I started with a...