Saturday, July 13, 2019

Plein Air Paintings

 


Last month, I took two plein air painting trips. One to Patuxent Wildlife Research Center (bottom) and one to Harper's Ferry (top).

On the top, I originally wanted to include the leaves that were in my view but ran out of time. I might go back and work on this more. This is watercolor on Aquabord. I started with a wash of water over the entire board and it made it very fun and pleasant to paint in the mountains in the background.

Patuxent was a learning experience. I didn't realize that DEET doesn't really repel biting flies. Two weeks later, I still have marks on my legs from all the bites. The painting on the left was literally made with blood and sweat. It was watercolor on a watercolor block--incidentally, a blank watercolor block that used to belong to my late grandfather. I was thinking about him while painting. He was always a looser painter. I think he would like the way this turned out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cicada in Gold

Cicada , 7"x5", ink, watercolor, and composite gold leaf on panel. I worked on this little guy last weekend. I started with a...